Answers the questions, “What are our revenue and expense projections?” “What is our budget?” “What is our cash flow?”
Financial planning is the budgeting, forecasting and analytical processes that support an organization’s financial health and business strategy. Financial planning combines in-depth analysis of both operational and financial data to help align business processes and strategies with financial goals, and to evaluate progress toward those goals. It relies heavily on statistical analysis to measure and plan business operations and forecast their financial impact, taking into account internal variables but also broader demographic and economic trends, as well as subjective, qualitative evaluation.
Financial planning activity involves the following tasks
- Assess the business environment
- Confirm the business vision and objectives
- Identify the types of resources needed to achieve these objectives
- Quantify the amount of resource (labor, equipment, materials)
- Calculate the total cost of each type of resource
- Summarize the costs to create a budget
- Identify any risks and issues with the budget set.
Performing Financial planning is critical to the success of any organization. It provides the Business Plan with rigor, by confirming that the objectives set are achievable from a financial point of view. It also helps the CEO to set financial targets for the organization, and reward staff for meeting objectives within the budget set.
The role of financial planning includes three categories
- Strategic role of financial management
- Objectives of financial management
- The planning cycle
Financial planning is important because
- Adequate funds have to be ensured.
- Financial Planning helps in ensuring a reasonable balance between outflow and inflow of funds so that stability is maintained.
- Financial Planning ensures that the suppliers of funds are easily investing in companies which exercise financial planning.
- Financial Planning helps in making growth and expansion programmes which helps in long-run survival of the company.
- Financial Planning reduces uncertainties with regards to changing market trends which can be faced easily through enough funds.
- Financial Planning helps in reducing the uncertainties which can be a hindrance to growth of the company. This helps in ensuring stability an d profitability in concern.